11 September 2012

A Dress


I think I may have done it - made myself the perfect dress.  If there's one thing I don't like about nursing, it's that I can't wear dresses (and if I'm honest, as much as I love it, there are really several things I don't like about nursing but this one sticks out).  I love wearing dresses in the summer.  And of course it's really no big deal to not be able to wear dresses but it can sometimes feel like a big deal, just a nasty restriction, just not being able to do it makes me want to do it so badly.

So my perfect dress has buttons of course.  Yes I sewed all those buttons and buttonholes!  I learned how to use my machine's automatic buttonhole maker of course.  Undoing buttons is still more annoying than lifting a top but she's nursing less and less often so I am happy to undo a few buttons each time.


It's got lots of gathering around the shoulders/arms so lots of freedom of movement.  And with the belt I don't feel too frumpy (a little frumpy is ok in my books).

I had to change the sleeves because they were much too poofy at first which of course pushed the frumpiness past my limit and also meant I couldn't roll them up.  

I added some patch pockets because I hate not having pockets and I think it adds to the casual look as well.

And I used some fabric I got a while ago from the fabric store that has a nice drape - so hard to find fabric with a nice drape and I am learning more and more how important it is! 


It took me about 6 weeks on and off to make it (yes I think I am a slow sewer).  It was nice to work on something slowly for a change, not expecting to get it done by the end of the day leant a different atmosphere to my sewing.  

I have only worn it once but I really think it is a keeper.  And really even when I say that on the blog I often end up not wearing it.  But I think this time it's true.  

Sewing clothes is really a bit insane, at least in this day and age.  Not only are you putting money and time and effort into a garment without trying it on first but without even seeing it!!  So really I shouldn't be surprised that I so often end up not liking what I sew.  I guess the only surprise is that I keep doing it.    But for now I do, it's still fun.  I definitely still love the anticipation of seeing how it ends up.  And I love the 'coming up with ideas' part, can't give that up.  And sitting down at the sewing machine or crouching on the floor with the scissors with Coronation Street on the computer is just nice, I just like it for some reason.  

No comments:

Post a Comment