30 March 2011

Italian Lentils and Polenta

We tried out a new meal yesterday that was all my idea. I saw polenta for sale at the supermarket and thought I'd give it a try. I have tried making my own polenta from corn meal years ago but it ended up in a big mess so I liked the idea of buying the premade stuff. However this stuff was really salty - not just too salty for my health kind of thing but too salty for my taste so I will have to have another go at making it myself next time.


I sliced and broiled the polenta and served it with italian lentils. I couldn't find any recipe online for italian lentils that had less than 4 pounds of sausage and lots of bacon. So I came up with my own recipe and I felt quite creative and chef-like while I was doing it. But really it is just a typical lentil soup recipe without the broth. Here is the recipe anyway, we really liked it.

Italian Lentils

olive oil
2 med. onions, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 carrots, diced
1/2 tsp oregano
1 1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp thyme
3 bay leaves
2 1/2 cups dry lentils
16 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 veg stock cube
4+ cups water

Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Add carrots and herbs and saute another minute. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook until lentils have softened and there is barely any liquid. Makes loads.

Serve with grilled polenta. I think it would also be good with barley or rice or quinoa.


And this is what Henry has been up to today. Getting very adventurous at the park and very dirty!

Slipping on the ice:

Playing with the ice:

Playing with the mud:

No comments:

Post a Comment