27 September 2011

A Sweater for Henry

I've been working on this sweater for Henry for about a month on and off and now it's finally ready. I used this 7-hour toddler sweater pattern but made it all in garter stitch just for something a bit interesting. I wasn't sure if I liked the garter stitch until I added the pockets - with the pockets it didn't look like such a blob. It's made from a thrift store pure wool that's a bit scratchy so I'm glad it turned out just big enough that it can be worn as more of a jacket over other sweaters, keeping that scratchy wool away from his skin.

And the most fun part was that I made the buttons! I made them from a stick I found in the backyard. I just put the stick in the vice, used a handsaw to slice small sections and then held the little buttons with my hand while drilling two holes for the thread. Then I did some minimal sanding. This was something I'd been meaning to try for ages and I'm so glad I did. Even though I thought it would be easy it was even easier than I had thought. I definitely want to do this again, am thinking I should gather some sticks for this purpose before winter comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment