23 July 2011

Zucchini

We had the first of the zucchini from the garden last night. This year I planted yellow thanks to a tip from Kevin's Aunt Linda that they are easier to spot before they grow humungous. I made a simple vegetable sauté that I think turned out so well that I thought I ought to post the recipe. We had it alongside smoked tofu sandwiches. I am in love with this Soyganic smoked tofu. Our Sobeys seems to get it in only about once every 3 months so last time I saw it I bought 4 packs but since I've had it twice this week I don't think that was nearly enough. It's just tofu with smoke flavour in it, none of the modified ingredients or msg that's in other meat substitutes. Last night our smoked tofu sandwiches were extremely good with red onion, tomato, avocado, lettuce, and mayo. Here is the recipe for the vegetable sauté.


Zucchini Sauté

1 TBSP vegetable oil
1 medium red onion, diced
1 red pepper, chopped
2 medium zucchini, sliced
2 large potatoes, cubed and either steamed or baked*
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cumin

Heat the oil on medium-high heat in large fry pan. Add onions and peppers and sauté for 5 minutes. Add zucchini and herbs and spices and sauté until zucchini is soft, about 5 minutes. Add cubed potato and stir. Serve.

*I baked my potatoes in the microwave like so:
wash potatoes, poke several times with fork, wrap in paper towel, microwave for 5-10 minutes until soft
when cool enough to handle cut into 4 spears by making 2 cuts lengthwise and pull off the peel/scrape off the potato, then cut into 1 inch cubes

Henry had enough of staying in the house on Thursday so yesterday to stay cool (I am on a break from the heat for a while) we drove to the mall.

No comments:

Post a Comment